This is part of the Flux Discovery Series. Each week we feature a promising new startup on the LA scene.
This week, we interviewed Kevin Ting, the Founder of Soapbox.
What does your app do?
- Deliver personalized, concise, and up-to-date info about the 2016 elections.
When did you start working on it?
- December 2014
What is your role in the company?
- Founder, I do coding, outreach, content curation, a little bit of everything!
How did you get the idea?
- During the 2014 midterm election cycle, my friends and I saw a ton of ads on TV but gleaned nothing meaningful from them, so we ended up just tuning them out. We also didn’t want to spend a lot of time reading long articles about each topic to get informed, so in the end, none of us ended up voting. Afterwards, we chatted about our similar experiences and how we would love to have an app which can provide us quick and simple information about the elections. From there, we decided to start working on it together, and the rest is history.
What were some of the struggles you faced in early stages of the company?
- This started off as a part time side project, so we had a lot of people on our team. Over the next year, we had members come and go - some of them leaving on not the most amicable terms. Disagreements with those members put stress on those who stayed, but we are lucky to have a dedicated core group who stuck together past those hurdles.
What has been the most exciting thing about the process so far?
- Getting our Android app published on the Play Store in mid-January. When we saw it go live, it was a great moment, signifying that all our hard work came to fruition.
Have you raised funds? (optional)
- Have not talked to investors yet.
What is the big vision for the company? What does the future look like?
- Our main goal is to get as many users as possible. 10,000 downloads is our wildest dreams. This app is free and with no ads currently, so we haven’t focused too much on monetization strategies. We do have monetization ideas though, that we will pursue if we get past the 1,000 users mark.
What are some milestones you’ve achieved?
- Launched app for both Android and iPhone
- Got several hundred users organically so far
Do you have any advice for aspiring entrepreneurs?
- Keep hustlin’
- Find great teammates, gain their trust, and don’t let them go!
Anything else to add?
- We have new features coming soon as the election cycles rolls along. Follow us at www.facebook.com/mysoapboxapp to hear the announcements!